Part 1: Starting a Project¶
Table of Contents
In this page, we describe a step-by-step instruction of how to:
- start a new local project from a template provided by Monaca. You can also import projects you have in Monaca Cloud IDE or other existing Cordova projects into Monaca Localkit as well. Please refer to Importing a Project.
- preview your project right from the Monaca Localkit without the use of real devices.
- edit the project files.
After a successful log in, you are now ready to create your first Monaca project locally. Please do as follows:
- From Monaca Localkit dashboard, go to .
- Fill in the necessary information such as:
- Project Name: create a name to represent your new project which will be shown in the project list.
- Working Directory: specify a directory where you want to keep your project files.
- Select Category: choose a template category for your new project.
- Select Template: choose a template for your new project. Please use Preview button to see how each template looks like.
- If the project is created successfully, the new project will be shown in the project list.
In Monaca Localkit, you can run the project using Live Preview function without real devices. However, some functionalitlies of some applications might not be properly previewed. For more information, please refer to usage and limitation of Live Preview.
In order to preview a project, please do as follows:
- From Monaca Localkit dashboard, click on a project we just created.
- Click on Preview button.
- Then, a Preview window will be shown as below:
- Try testing the app in the Preview window.
- Browse your project files from Monaca Localkit dashboard. To do this, you can either click Open button or right-click on the Memo Application project, then click Open in (see screenshot below).
- Then, a new window showing your project files location will be displayed. The project files that you will be editing directly are in
- Now, let’s edit the
index.htmlfile. Try changing some lines in this page and save them.
- Use Preview function to see the change. If your Preview is already opened, the change will be updated immediately after you save the changes.