Cloud IDE Overview¶
Table of Contents
Monaca Cloud IDE consists of 5 main parts such as:
This feature allows you to make your project available to other users by sharing the link generated after publishing your project. By accessing the generated link, users can get a copy of their own in their account. All changes made in the copies are not transferred to the original, so there will be no fear of someone messing up the original.
Publishing your project is really easy and done by following the next simple steps:
- From Monaca Cloud IDE menu, go to .
- Click Publish button.
- Copy the generated link and share it with the world
If you no longer wish for your project to be available, you can make it private again by clicking the Make Private button that appears after publishing your project.
With this feature, we allow Monaca users to directly import published Monaca projects or projects from a given URL directly by just accessing a link. Upon accessing the link, the users will be forwarded to the following screen (if signed in), whereby just clicking the import button the project will be imported into their account.
In the Project panel, there are 3 main tabs:
- File Tree: Displays a list of folders and files existed in the current project. Right-click on a folder or file to see additional functions such as New File, Copy, Rename, Delete, Upload File and so on. To edit a file, select it and then its content will be shown in Monaca IDE Editor.
- Grep: Searches for files by using Unix command.
- Monaca Backend: Contains the backend settings of the project.
Once Monaca Debugger is connected with Monaca Cloud IDE, you can do console debugging as well DOM inspection in this panel. For more information, please refer to Monaca Debugger with Monaca Cloud IDE.
The Live Preview provides an overview of your app in real-time. You can also interact with this preview as if it is running on an actual device with the limitation of executing the specific device’s functionality (such as camera, contact and so on) and cross-origin network AJAX request. Along with the Monaca Debugger, you will have effective and efficient experiences during app development.
In this tab, you can:
- refresh the Preview window.
- change the display device’s screen by clicking on the Configure icon in that tab. Then, you will see a drop-down list of different devices such as iPad, iPhone, and Nexus. You can change the orientation of the screen as well.
- detach/attach the Preview window.
Live Preivew Limitations
When using Live Preview, you should be aware of the the following limitations:
- Cordova Plugin APIs are not available.
- Ajax requests will fail because of Cross-origin restriction. However, it can be done if server-side scripts return “Access-Control-Allow-Origin” Header (i.e., Cross-Origin Ajax Request is permitted).
- Viewport appearance may differ from real devices.
- Monaca Backend API and Push Notifications can not be initialized.
Views and edits the selected file from the file tree. Various settings such as Preferences is also shown and can be edited here. Once you open a file, you can select it from the tab.
Please refer to Editor Shortcuts for the list of all shortcuts available in Monaca code editor.
Inside this editor, there is also a small and short menu bar as shown below:
Within this short menu, you can:
- go to Monaca documentation by clicking on Help icon.
- config the code editor by clicking on Setting icon. You will see 3 menu items such as:
- View Older Versions: View older versions of the currently selected file.
- Editor Configuration: Configure the appearance of the editor.
- Editor Shortcuts: open the keyboard shortcut references.
- search for a string inside the currently opened file.