Table of Contents
- User Management
- Collection Management
- Mail Template Management
Monaca Backend has 4 main operations which can be found at Backend Control Panel as follows:
In Backend Control Panel, you can manually manage users data.
- From Backend Control Panel, go to .
- Entering the new user’s information such as Username, Password, and Properties. Then, click on Add button.
- Once, you successfully added the new user. The new user record should appear in the User tab.
- From the User tab, select on a user’s record you want to edit. Then, the selected user record’s dialog will appear.
- Now you can update the user’s properties by using correct JSON notation. In this example, the user’s age is changed from 27 to 25 and a new property (job) is added.
A Collection refers to a group of data. You can manage the appropriate data used within an application based on permissions you granted to each user. User permissions you can grant to each user are create, access, edit, delete or read-only.
In this section, an example of how to manage a Collection is illustrated. In this example, _id, name, color and taste are used as fields of the properties. Each row of data (such as: lemon, yellow, sour) is called collection item. A unit comprising of all of these items is called a Collection. To put it as database terminology, a Collection is a table, and Collection Items are records.
Collection item has several system properties that start with an underscore (
_). For example,
_id is, one of system properties, unique ID of an item.
- From Backend Control Panel, click on Options Menu icon. Then, choose New Collection....
- Then, New Collection dialog will appear. Fill in necessary information for your Collection. Then, click Add button.
- From Backend Control Panel, right-click on the Collection you want to delete and choose Delete this Collection.
- Click Delete and Yes to confirm the deletion.
- From Backend Control Panel, select a Collection you want to add an item. Then, click Add an item.
- Entering the new Collection Item’s information in JSON format. Then, click on Add button.
- Once, you successfully added the new item. The new item should appear in the Collection tab.
Show/Hide Columns of Collection Items¶
As shown in the above screenshot, the Collection items are displayed with default columns such as Oid, Owner user, Created At, Updated At and Permission. You can show/hide other columns as follows:
- From the Collection tab, go to .
- Then, choose the column you want to show one by one.
- After you add all the columns you want to show, move them to arrange the order as you wish.
- When you want to hide a column, click on its dropdown icon and choose Hide this column.
- From the Collection tab, select on an item’s record you want to edit. Then, the selected item’s dialog will appear.
- Now you can update this item’s properties by using correct JSON notation. In this example, the item’s name and taste are changed from
The properties can only be added/updated but not deleted. System properties which begin with
"_" (such as
"_id", ...) cannot be modified.
- From the Collection tab, tick the checkbox of item’s record(s) you want to delete.
- Then, click Delete items.
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
Data cannot be recovered once deleted. Therefore, please be careful when deleting the data.
You can change the permissions for each Collection item for specific users.
There are two type of users:
- Owner refers to the user who create the Collection. Owner will always be granted read and write permissions.
- Public refers to all users who are not logged in. By default, they are not granted the read or write permissions.
In order to change the user’s permission for each Collection Item, please do as follows:
- From the Collection tab, click on Permission icon of an item.
- The Permission dialog will appear. You can change the permissions for each Collection item for specific users. If your app has more than one user, a list of users will appear in the combo box for you to choose from. By ticking the checkbox of read or write , and clicking the Add button, these new permission settings will be added for the selected user.
- Click Save.
You can edit/create the template for emails sent to your app’s users.
- From Backend Control Panel, select Mail Template.
- Then, the mail template will apear. You can then edit/add mail template.
- Click Apply after you finish editing/creating the template.
Mail templates can only be edited/created from the Monaca Cloud IDE.